This month, I’ve teamed up with some kick-butt gals to create a Bookstagram photography challenge for the month of August.We had a ton of fun and worked really hard to come up with creative and inspiring photography prompts, and Fiderly, Jill, Nani, and I really hope you’ll join us in this month’s challenge! Below you’ll find the challenge graphic and explanations for each day, along with examples and inspiration for all of your photo-taking needs. 😉
1. August TBR. TBR stands for ‘To Be Read.’ What do you plan on reading in the upcoming month?
2. #ALitUpBookWorld. A tag inspired by yours truly ( 🙂 ), this is a picture featuring fairy lights, Christmas lights, candles, or anything that lights up!
3. #BookishHeart. Use a book (or books) to form the shape of a heart ❤
4. Country Pride. Show your pride for where you live by photographing either books in your country’s colors, books that take place in your country, etc.
5. Favorite Book Title/Quote. Be creative with this one! You can photograph a book directly, showcase your handwriting/calligraphy, or even use Scrabble letters to write out either your favorite book title or quote (your choice!)
6. A Character You’d Swap Lives With. This one’s pretty self explanatory: if you could, what character would you like to be? Where would you like to live?
7. Stick Your Book In a Tree! Once again, fairly self explanatory. Take a book… and put it in a tree! Maybe add some fairy lights or some flowers, too. 🌸
8. Meet the Reader. Who’s the person behind the camera? You don’t have to show your face, of course, but give a little glimpse of the mastermind behind your beautiful photos.
9. Rainbow Spiral. You can go as small or all-out as you please, but here’s the gist of it: 💖
11. Recreate a Book Cover. This one’s a fun one! Beware, though, it requires a bit of creativity… 🙂 Simply choose a book and channel your inner book model status or graphic design skills to recreate the cover. You can even make… a cake!
11.#twirlingpages. Sorry to break it to you, folks… but you’ll most likely need to break an old book spine for this one. Just open up an old book and let the pages splay & twirl.
12. Current Obsessions. What Netflix show are you currently obsessed with? Any fandoms that are stealing your soul? Games? Movies?
13. Pastels & Flowers. You may have to actually adventure outside for this one (gasp!). Picks some flowers (or find fake ones) and pair them with some beautiful pastel books.
14. #booksthetics. Happy Birthday Nani! Inspired by Nani (@booksthetics) herself, this tag is a unique one. The goal is to choose photos (either your own or from the internet) that represent you & your account, and create a small image graphic like this:
15. Bookspiration. Take a photo inspired by one of your favorite Bookstagrammers! You can recreate a picture of theirs or take one of your own in their style 🙂
16. Bookish Guilty Pleasure. What’s your dirty little bookish habit? Do you dog ear pages? Break spines? Read the last page first? Always fall for the beautiful cover?
17. Dream Bookish Candle. If you’re like me, you’ve constantly got a million ideas swirling around in your head. Now, think of your favorite book, and the first image that comes to mind. Where are you? Can you tell the season, the setting? What does that character smell like?
18. #CoverBuys. Okay, be honest. We’ve all bought books simply because we loved the cover. Now’s your time to flaunt it, and show off your beautiful book covers!
19. Bookish Playlist. Easy and simple: Create a little playlist that fits the mood/theme of a book, and share it in your caption. Maybe incorporate some headphones or sheet music into your photo!
20. Broken Book Spines. Showcase those well-loved, cracked spines. ❤
21. Make Me Your Villain. Inspired by the Darkling, photograph the darkest, creepiest villains you love.
22. #flamingpages. MAKE THOSE BOOKS BURN. (Okay, I’m only sort of kidding…) Kids, PLEASE be careful and do this somewhere safe and non-flammable, with water at hand. 😂 Pick an old book, and burn everything from a single pages to an entire pile of pages. And don’t worry, if this is a bit too much, you can try photoshop, draw your own flames, or photograph a book with flames on the cover.
23. Unconventional. Use objects you wouldn’t normally use in a photo! Whether it be an instrument, a pet, paperclips, or some kitchen knives, let the items inspire you.
24. #ReadSleepDisney. Inspired by our very own Fiderly (@readsleepfangirl), it’s disney day! Feature your favorite princess, your own Mickey ears, your favorite Disney Funko, or anything and everything disney.
25. Rearrange a Shelf. Pick a section of your shelf that needs some re-vamping and reorganize! Try it by rainbow, genre, author… anything you’re feeling. You can photograph before & after shots, or even make a little time lapse of your reorganization!
26. #BookishWave. In the spirit of summer…
27. Behind the Scenes. I don’t know about you, but after I have any kind of book photography session, my shelves are completely DECIMATED. You know that mess you made the other day? Photograph it!
28. #FlowerPowerJill. This one is inspired by the perfection that is Jill (@booknerd_reads) and her gorgeous flower pillow and colorful bedspread. ❤ Grab something (anything) flowery, and snap a pic!
29. House Pride. Showcase your Hogwarts house pride with all of that HP merch! 🙂
30. August Haul. What books did you buy/receive this month? Show off your haul!
31. August Wrap Up. Happy end of August! Celebrate by recounting all the books you’ve read in the past month. How did you do, TBR-wise?
Whether you just want to drop in every once in a while or hardcore complete all of the challenges, we’d love for you to join in. This month is going to be a creative burst of fun!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments below! Other than that, see you in August, and I hope you enjoy our challenge.